Friday, October 29, 2010

Update on Northside's "A Christmas Carol."

So I heard back from James today. I was at work when I got the call. I checked my voice mail as soon as I had a free chance. I was not cast. Boo. James was very sweet about it. It was sorry, I can't use you this time. I love you (I love you, too, James). Bu-ut, would you be interested in stage managing/assistant directing?

I have some issues with accepting a tech position. I adamantly, do not want to be seen as a tech. I want to be an actress. And I do worry very much about being pigeon-holed as a tech. I actually been witness to this happening to my awesome fiance. He's a great actor and amazing singer. Unfortunately, he's taken so many tech positions no one knows he can act. Also, he doesn't market himself terribly, but that's another story. I know I did great work with Shady as an ASM, which is where I met James. He's seen what I can do.

My problem comes down to: take the tech position-don't suck at it, and forever get stuck as a tech. Decline the tech position-have nothing to do for theatre-wise for the months of October through December, and no money (tech pays very well, better than acting). I have played with the idea that if acting doesn't work out for me switching into stage management. So the experience would certainly be helpful.

...I spent a lot of time thinking about it and I've ultimately decided to go with the tech position. Really, I need the money. I need the experience and I could use the opportunity to do some more networking. I have hope that the actors I'll be working with will not just see me as a tech person. It's worth to note that quite a few actors, in general, also end up directing at some point. Here's to a good show experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment